Tuesday, February 10, 2015

There And Back Again.... and around

I apologize for not having posted in way too long. I wanted to wait until some things were finalized before I published this blog post. So here are some updates!


My stomach is back on track! After many visits to the hospital/doctor in December in Cleveland I am feeling much healthier and working to 100%! I am so thankful that I was able to go back to the US and get treatment from a wonderful doctor at UH who took good care of me. I'm happy I found him and will be seeing him for the rest of my treatment. Thank you so everyone who supported me through those weeks and that process!



After leaving the US I traveled to South Africa where I met two friends from YASC and went on many fun adventures with them around Cape Town and the road to Grahamstown. We went shark diving, saw giraffes and lions, climbed a mountain, and got really sun burned. It was great to see Willie and Ryan, hear about their time in South Africa, and travel together! Thank you for an awesome two weeks!

Since coming back to Bujumbura it has become clear that I cannot finish my YASC year here. I am so heartbroken to be leaving this country. The people, the culture, the mountains all mean so much to me. I am so glad that I was able to come here and have the experiences that I did. I'm grateful for all of the people that I encountered and everything they taught me. I really have learned a lot while being here and will cherish the relationships that I've made along the way.


So, it is a little bittersweet to say that I will be finishing my YASC year in Grahamstown, South Africa. I am so excited and thankful for the opportunity to jump into this new ministry! Although I am scared of this step, I am also looking forward to meeting new people, new cultures and new mountains.

While in Grahamstown I will be working at Holy Cross School doing some administrative things as well as some teaching and playing! I am so happy to have found a new placement that I think will fit me very well.


I am also extremely excited for the possibility to work with Reading Camp in Grahamstown! Reading Camp has been such an influential part of my life and I can't wait to see what will happen next with Reading Camp.

 Keep looking for more updates from me! I promise to keep everyone updated once I am settled in Grahamstown! Thank you to everyone who has made this year possible. See you February 13th South Africa!






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! Staying tuned. I shared your blog with one of our congregants. Barbara Bell and her husband, Richard, spent a year in Grahamstown, I believe. You might also be interested in his book, Rethinking Justice: Restoring Our Humanity. Blessings on your move and next adventure. Love thinking of you in South Africa! Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for your continued healing and good health, and for your new assignment!
    Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete